Teen almost dies in phone charger accident after chain is electrocuted

A teenage boy is lucky to be alive after his religious crucifix electrocuted him like a “hot coil,” leaving his entire neck encircled in scars.

Rayce Ogdahl, from city of Oklahoma in the US, had been asleep at his family home for “around an hour” when his mum heard a sudden noise coming from his bedroom, the New York Post reports.

Danielle Davis, 38, initially thought the 16-year-old was getting frustrated over a video game, until he emerged in the hallway covered in burn marks.

“I heard him shout ‘mum’ and my son was standing in the hallway,” the mother-of-six explained.

“He said, ‘I’ve been electrocuted. It was my necklace’.”

Ms Davis said her son had a ring of deep scorch marks around his neck where his religious necklace was, adding the smell was “awful”.

“The whole house smelled like burnt hair and skins and electrical burns,” the mother recalled, adding she quickly called for an ambulance.

While waiting for emergency services to arrive, Rayce described the shocking turn of events that had transpired, leaving him lashed with burns.

“He explained to us that he was in bed, rolled over to get comfortable when he heard something fall off the bed,” his guardian recounted.

“He said he wanted to make sure his phone was still charging so his alarm would go off for school the next day.”

Unfortunately, when he leaned out of bed to inspect it, the cross necklace around his neck touched the exposed prongs from the plug in an extension cord, essentially turning his jewellery into a high-voltage shock collar.

Rayce said that he saw sparks from his neck in a matter of seconds, after which his body started to hurt all over.

“He said he was completely conscious through the whole thing and was aware he was being electrocuted,” said Ms Davis. “Because everything was metal, it made a complete circuit around his neck.”

“It all happened within a matter of seconds and he visibly saw sparks coming from his neck,” she shared.

“He thought he was going to die.”

Along with the “significant mark” on his neck, the youngster also had burns on his hands from trying to rip off the impromptu live wire, which was so hot that it “welded part of his chain to the charger”.

The cross pendant, meanwhile, melted into his mattress, leaving a three-inch-deep hole in it like acid.

The teen was subsequently rushed to the hospital, where doctors said he had endured “enough amps to kill him,” prompting them to monitor his heart over the next few days.

“He could’ve easily died that night,” said his relieved mother.

Rayce unfortunately was far from unscathed, however. He suffered from second, third and fourth-degree burns along with significant scars extending from his chin to his collarbone.

Due to the extensive scarring, doctors proposed giving him skin grafts, but the patient says he doesn’t want to do that unless “medically necessary”.

Davis says she’s just “grateful he’s OK”, and in light of the horrific saga, she put out a warning about the perils of leaving electronic devices on one’s bed.

“When it comes to your phone, there’s not a text message or notification that is important enough to have your phone on your bed,” she said.

“Anything can happen and Rayce is proof of that. Pay attention to your cords and I would recommend to anybody don’t use extension cords at all.”

This article originally appeared on The New York Post and was reproduced with permission

Leave a Comment